UnderGround Forums Why is Joe Rogan so popular?

8/19/19 9:13 AM
1/1/01

Why Is Joe Rogan So Popular?
He understands men in America better than most people. The rest of the country should start paying attention.

Every morning of my Joe Rogan experience began the same way Joe Rogan begins his: with the mushroom coffee.

It’s a pour-and-stir powder made from lion’s mane and chaga—“two rock-star mushrooms,” according to Joe—and it’s made by a company called Four Sigmatic, a regular advertiser on Joe Rogan’s wildly popular podcast. As a coffee lover, the mere existence of mushroom coffee offends me. (“I’ll have your most delicious thing, made from your least delicious things, please,” a friend said, scornfully.) But it tastes fine, and even better after another cup of actual coffee.

Next, I took several vitamin supplements from a company called Onnit, whose core philosophy is “total human optimization” and whose website sells all kinds of wicked-cool fitness gear—a Darth Vader kettlebell ($199.95); a 50-foot roll of two-and-a-half-inch-thick battle rope ($249.95); a 25-pound quad mace ($147.95), which according to one fitness-equipment site is a weapon dating back to 11th-century Persia. I stuck to the health products, though, because you know how it goes—you buy one quad mace and soon your apartment is filled with them. I stirred a packet of Onnit Gut Health powder into my mushroom coffee, then downed an enormous pair of Alpha Brain pills, filled with nootropics to help with “memory and focus.”

8/19/19 9:40 AM
11/3/12

Ive gone a bit off him lately he has no opinion anymore it depends on who his guest is

8/19/19 9:48 AM
3/6/14

used to be interesting and fun. now is buoyed by weak/directionless men reaching for guidance with a "alpha". or ppl just like him. fuck I dunno. dudes making millions so I cant shit on him really. 

8/19/19 9:55 AM
8/3/11

He's a jacked white boy who smokes weed and uses common people language.

8/19/19 10:00 AM
3/7/05
I think it is because Joe, at least by appearances, is doing exactly what he enjoys and making a life out of it. People gravitate towards that since few of us manage to pull it off.
8/19/19 10:15 AM
9/13/08
BigWilliam - I think it is because Joe, at least by appearances, is doing exactly what he enjoys and making a life out of it. People gravitate towards that since few of us manage to pull it off.

I would agree with alot of this. Someone mentioned he has no opinion and it depends on who is guest is.

I think he lets his guests share their opinion or viewpoint, whether he agrees with it or not.

I listen to his podcast not just for him, but his guests as well, and it's fine to not have the interviewer interject their opinion over it......
8/19/19 10:19 AM
6/1/07
Fuck that article and the hack that wrote it.

Who writes a long-form examination of a subject without ever meeting or talking to the subject, or anyone who knows him?

The whole article basically boils down to 'I got know Joe Rogan by using a bunch of products he endorses, going to the gym for the first time in my life, and listening to a handful of his podcasts' He then proceeds to psychoanalyze Joe based on this new 'knowledge' he has gleaned from using the same toothpaste as Joe. Complete garbage.
8/19/19 10:23 AM
6/30/07

What a bizzare article

"If you don’t think it’s possible to be insightful and obtuse at the same time, just listen to an hour of his podcast"

8/19/19 10:38 AM
3/5/14
Mountain Medic -

What a bizzare article

"If you don’t think it’s possible to be insightful and obtuse at the same time, just listen to an hour of his podcast"

Yea, I thought the first half was interesting to some extent as he seemed to recognize why so many guys enjoy the podcast and what not, but then his weird decision to lay out his own opinions as lines that Joe crossed that can't be crossed was so strange. 

Its like he was of the opinion that one must fully agree with everything someone does and says in order to be a fan or enjoy the content, which is insane.  The second half of the article turned into relatively ignorant op-ed garbage.

There have been dudes casually following JRE and rogan for over ten fucking years who can handle making up their own minds about what they agree and don't agree with Joe and his guests on, who the fuck does this guy think he is? 

8/19/19 1:13 PM
7/18/16

JRE is good for the first couple hundred episode because the guest are varied and the long form interview allows Joe to ask questions when guests make big logic leaps. 

After listening for awhile, you’ve heard all of Rogan’s opinions and hearing him repeat each one to every guest gets old real fast. Those of us that have listened since the Ice House days or earlier have heard it all, and the only guests that are mildly interesting are the big names he lands. And even then Rogan can’t help filling the dead space with his usual shtick. 

8/19/19 1:28 PM
7/4/03
stookartz - 

Ive gone a bit off him lately he has no opinion anymore it depends on who his guest is

ditto... I miss the days when Joe used to interview people to learn from them... versus the present when he has a guest on to listen to himself pontificate...
8/19/19 3:26 PM
5/3/01

vice did exactly this article in early 2017

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nz9nwd/i-spent-a-week-living-as-joe-rogan

8/19/19 3:47 PM
1/23/06
FRAT
8/19/19 4:17 PM
6/1/07
Peixes - 

vice did exactly this article in early 2017

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/nz9nwd/i-spent-a-week-living-as-joe-rogan

Wow.

I guarantee you the guy who wrote the Atlantic article got the idea from that Vice article. WAY too many parallels between them for it to be a coincidence. They even used the same Axe Body Spray insult. It probably doesn't qualify as plagiarism, but he definitely ripped off the Vice dude's idea.
8/19/19 4:24 PM
4/13/07
Mountain Medic -

What a bizzare article

Didn’t read it but that’s actually an accurate quite.Joe can waver from semi-intelligent social commentary to meathead nonsense within a 5 minute span.

8/19/19 5:22 PM
5/1/10

The writer comes across as a self-loathing worm, who will waste his youth fretting over an inability to convert anyone of substance to his civic religion.

Rogan is a bit of a goof, but at least he knows enough not to deliberately alienate his audience in order to pander to people that will forever regard him with the kind of disdain that this article is dripping with.

8/19/19 5:27 PM
2/25/15
stookartz - 

I actually like the way does that. I've seen him invite right wing guests and the way the interview goes, i almost end up agreeing with the guest at the end of the interview (even tho i really ain't right wing at all).

But then he can do a similar interview with Bernie and its also very interesting.

Its annoying when the interviewer clearly disagrees with the guest and isn't open at all to his ideas. Joe doesn't do that.
8/19/19 6:06 PM
1/1/01

8/19/19 6:30 PM
6/1/07
floofy - 
stookartz - 

I actually like the way does that. I've seen him invite right wing guests and the way the interview goes, i almost end up agreeing with the guest at the end of the interview (even tho i really ain't right wing at all).

But then he can do a similar interview with Bernie and its also very interesting.

Its annoying when the interviewer clearly disagrees with the guest and isn't open at all to his ideas. Joe doesn't do that.

Completely agree.

Rogan's greatest strength as an interviewer is he lets his guests be themselves. He's not trying to be confrontational. He wants to hear their worldview, and the only way to do that is give them time to put their thoughts out there without constantly interjecting his own views into the conversation. He leaves it up to his audience to come up with their own conclusions of what they think of that worldview. Sometimes they think it is bullshit, sometimes they think it is spot on, and sometimes it's completely over their head but they are happy to have learned something.

That's why his show works, and that's why he is able to book the wide variety of guests he books. Nobody wants to sit in a studio and take a three-hour grilling from an interviewer. They want to tell their story and get their message out there. Joe lets them do that, for better or for worse.
8/19/19 6:44 PM
11/9/18

He's not. He's pretty much a shit announcer. He's been doing it way too long and pretty much just goes through the same old motions. Maybe that's why he makes shit up that he thinks is happening?

8/19/19 7:06 PM
6/17/16

Are we talking about the same 'Jokes' Rogan, famous stand-up comedian and professional funny man?

The guy with a polished bit for every situation? 

I hear his material works just as well at a bris as a bar mitzvah, oi vey!

8/19/19 10:04 PM
8/20/16

I wish Rogan would learn about his guests before hand so he can guide the conversations away from misinformation.

8/20/19 2:12 AM
1/1/01
ttt
8/20/19 6:08 AM
10/27/03

8/20/19 8:17 AM
1/1/01
From the article:

"The bedrock issue, though, is Rogan's courting of a middle-bro audience that the cultural elite hold in particular contempt--guys who get barbed-wire tattoos and fill their fridge with Monster energy drinks and preordered their tickets to see Hobbs & Shaw. Joe loves these guys, and his affection has none of the condescension and ironic distance many people fall back on in order to get comfortable with them."

i.e. - the same type of condescension the entire article is full of?