UnderGround Forums What makes a legend ?

3 days ago
10/18/11

Im curious to know what everyone thinks makes a legend . To me a legend is more than someone who has been dominant inside the ring. I feel a legend is someone who did great things outside of the ring and used their platform to be a  positive role model . For example, Jon Jones will no doubt be a all time great , but I could never consider him a legend because of his actions outside of the ring .

3 days ago
1/1/01

I've thought a bunch about that too. I never came up with a good definition.

Maybe we can come up with a list, and the list will reveal all?

Randy Couture and Fedor are two.

3 days ago
3/20/12

Shogun

3 days ago
10/18/11

Yes , Fedor is differently a great example of a legend . I'm hoping more people will comment on this because it would be cool to see what others think as well.

3 days ago
10/18/11

Porier is definitely well on his way to the legend status in my eyes.

3 days ago
3/12/15

Dethroning the p4p King in 13 seconds

Becoming the 1st ever 2 weight consecutive champ in UFC history 

Fighting across 3 weight in 1 year at the top level 

Challenging the greatest boxer of all time in your boxing debut 

Revolutionizing the sport and bringing it to a new mainstream level

These things make a legend. 

3 days ago
5/12/11

Dominating a division, introducing an aspect not seen before, a dominant particular skillset 

Edited: 3 days ago
10/17/13
I understand your sentiment. Except when bringing up Fighters who are not in the HOF, it’s not my initial reaction to think of what they did outside of the Octagon/Ring. My initial reaction goes to the Fighters that should be in the Mma Hof and aren’t because of BS Politics and lack of Nepotism. It should always start with their accomplishments in their fighting career and there are plenty who have been slighted. It’s a shame....
3 days ago
5/14/16

Anything can make a fighter a legend if we still talk about years later.

Scott Smith is legend for eating that liver shot from Pete Sell (Cell?) And returning fire when Drago came in for the kill

Keith Hackney for the Yarborough fight

Marco Ruas for chopping down Paul Varlens with leg kicks

Sean Gannon for that warehouse brawl with Kimbo

Lee Murray for infamous alley brawl, and.....other things.

Legends are proven over time

3 days ago
8/5/17

Becoming a legend can be landed through multiple avenues, even if we’re just talking MMA fighters. It’s a much more interesting topic, to me at least, than the “greatest of all time” conversation.

I would start by talking about what happened in the cage or ring, but it can go into all aspects of the fighter’s life.

Legendary occurrences of overcoming adversity would be where I begin personally. Maybe that’s just cause I watched Rocky as a kid, but a lot of y’all did too. I doubt I’ll ever have a fighter who is in my top couple favs who hasn’t lost and come back. Whether it’s regular life or between the bells, overcoming adversity is what intrigues me.

That’s the first place I look when thinking legend.

3 days ago
3/2/12

The Nog Brothers

3 days ago
4/22/07

.....that and a pair of testicles

3 days ago
1/24/17

Jon Jones the GOAT

3 days ago
7/8/14
The Lion King -

I dislike Conor, but hard to argue with these points 

3 days ago
6/20/11

Every single guy that touched the pride canvas - The UG

3 days ago
11/8/08
The Lion King -

There was no "revolutionizingnof the sport". That doesnt fit the definition.

Accepting a fight with Flotd doesnt make you a legend no matter how many fights you have. How many millions of people have said "I'll fight mike tyson and get knocked out for a $100 million. Lol.

Winning that fight would have been legendary though.

3 days ago
8/24/15
JoeHurley -
The Lion King -

Accepting a fight with Flotd doesnt make you a legend no matter how many fights you have. How many millions of people have said "I'll fight mike tyson and get knocked out for a $100 million. Lol.

You're right accepting a fight for that kind of cash isnt what makes you a legend but getting the fight offed to you does.

3 days ago
10/6/02

talking about someone long after they are gone.

Royce
Conor
Fedor
Trump

3 days ago
11/8/08
redruM14 -
JoeHurley -
The Lion King -

You're right accepting a fight for that kind of cash isnt what makes you a legend but getting the fight offed to you does.

People get fights they don't deserve all the time. Just getting a fight means nothing. I suppose CM Punk is a legend for getting a main card fight in the UFC in his mma debut. Same with James Toney getting a UFC main event fight against one of the greatest fighters ever in his mma debut.

See how silly that sounds?

Edited: 3 days ago
1/1/01

There's legends and then there's legends in their sport.  Muhammed Ali is a legend in and out of his sport, not many legends like him out there.

For legends in their sport, they have to have fought the best, be loved by their fans and survive the test of time.  Their fans still talk about them even after their peaks have passed.  Saku for example.  

edit: Jon Jones ... even if he isn't loved by fans is still a legend ... argh, messed up my theory.

3 days ago
7/30/03

Legend- An extremely famous or notorious person, especially in a particular field.

The things you mention you think disqualify Jones from being a legend are actually things that will probably add to his legendary status.

3 days ago
11/8/08
deepu -

There's legends and then there's legends in their sport.  Muhammed Ali is a legend in and out of his sport, not many legends like him out there.

For legends in their sport, they have to have fought the best, be loved by their fans and survive the test of time.  Their fans still talk about them even after their peaks have passed.  Saku for example.  

edit: Jon Jones ... even if he isn't loved by fans is still a legend ... argh, messed up my theory.

Change it from "being loved by their fans" to "their accomplishments respected by the fans" and you're theory is back on track.

3 days ago
1/1/01

Royce, Sak, Fedor, GSP, Anderson are all legends in my book although not necessarily for the same reasons. 

3 days ago
1/1/01
JoeHurley - 
deepu -

Change it from "being loved by their fans" to "their accomplishments respected by the fans" and you're theory is back on track.

Good call!

3 days ago
5/10/04

I think it depends on the fighter and the circumstances relative to the era.

The pioneer era of NHB is legendary in itself, because it represented both a marital arts revolution, and a combat sport evolution.
So many of the top guys from that era -- and also some of "role players" who stand out for various reasons -- seem widely regarded as legendary.
Rightfully so IMO.

Fighters that define eras, have great success, are influential, ahead of their time, exhibit extraordinary technique, toughness, ability....etc.
Factor in personality, and even some controversy.
All apply IMO.

There is also an aspect of being "legendary" in terms of unverified
or unproven accomolishments.

For examples:

Rickson's 400-0 record.

Marco Ruas' "legendary" dominance in the gym.

Ringing the town bell for Igor Vovchanchyn.

Then you could have a "legendary" display of toughness and heart.

Yuki Nakai and Enson Inoue come to mind.

So maybe a fighter is remembered for a legendary performance, more so than career accomplishment.

Each case of as fluid and unique as the individual fighters, IMO.

I tend to think the UG consensus on "Legendary fighters", has mostly gotten it right over the years.

There does have to be at least some consensus though.
I might view a fighter nobody has ever heard of as a "legend". But if I have to search the far corners of the Earth to find someone who agrees -- that guy is only a legend to me personally.

IMHO