UnderGround Forums Could anyone have beaten prime healthy Cain?

8/26/20 12:06 PM
9/24/09

I don’t consider Cain the GOAT because the GOAT title is based on the overall summary of your career accomplishments. Injuries took their toll on Cain and stopped him before he could truly earn the title of GOAT. But I don’t think there was ever a fighter alive that could have beaten healthy prime Cain Velezquez. Even DC to this day says he has never faced anyone as good as Cain. I wonder if there is any chance he tries a come back. He is 38 so it is not entirely out of the question. The Francis fight was a horrible choice for a return fight. You don’t shake off 3 years of ring rust against a guy as unforgiving as Francis. 

Who could beat prime Cardio Cain?

Edited: 8/26/20 12:16 PM
10/3/16

PRIME CARDIO EPO SEA LEVEL CAIN?

Nobody. 

8/26/20 12:16 PM
2/17/03

It's possible that the version of Werdum we saw was always going to be a tough matchup for him.

I personally take the most forgiving view of Cain. I think he was hurt for the first JDS fight; and that the elevation genuinely caused his issues in the Werdum fight.

He was a stud. Probably the best we have seen on his best night in a cage. Fedor would have likely smoked him in a ring. Mirko, too. But not in a cage.

8/26/20 12:20 PM
8/18/13

Completely agree. Not the HW GOAT, but quite easily the best HW there’s ever been when he was prime

8/26/20 12:22 PM
3/29/13

The same DC that got ass stomped by the goat twice?

8/26/20 1:18 PM
6/14/12

Werdum ? Nah, who am i kidding?

8/26/20 1:26 PM
7/14/16
Connorwinztharematch - 

Low altitude, healthy, in shape, injury free, prime Cain destroys Werdum.

The problem is, I don't think that version ever existed, so we will never know. What we do know is that he had a knack for never being at his best, whether his fault or not.
8/26/20 1:31 PM
9/20/19

Yes. He was always beatable. Barely got by Kongo at one point. 

8/26/20 1:32 PM
6/14/12
Lurker99 -
Connorwinztharematch - 

The problem is, I don't think that version ever existed, so we will never know. What we do know is that he had a knack for never being at his best, whether his fault or not.

Right. He never existed. So, that was prime cain then. And werdum smashed him. 

8/26/20 1:37 PM
1/30/16

We’re just ignoring the JDS fight now?

8/26/20 1:39 PM
11/30/07

8k elevation on 2 weeks prep? He isnt the brightest crayon in the box. Cain was overrated, only reason he’s talked about now is because rogan jerked off about him constantly. 

8/26/20 2:20 PM
5/10/04
Lurker99 - 
Connorwinztharematch - 

I don't know man...

That version of Werdum was awesome.

One of the most dangerous I'm the world on the ground -- with the new found ability to light people up on the feet.

8/26/20 2:45 PM
2/17/03
Ryann Von Doom - 

8k elevation on 2 weeks prep? He isnt the brightest crayon in the box. Cain was overrated, only reason he’s talked about now is because rogan jerked off about him constantly. 

Couldn't have been his win over Brock Lesnar, or his two destructions of a prime Junior Dos Santos.

8/26/20 2:47 PM
1/24/16

Rhonda 

8/26/20 2:48 PM
1/24/16
HillboFrateTrane -

I saw that live Kongo caught him big in every round 

8/26/20 3:04 PM
8/15/07
Cain has always been incredibly overrated. Even in his "prime." LOL
8/26/20 3:30 PM
11/28/03

he was a very solid fighter

but even the best lose, sometimes to lesser fighters

its like a car accident, tragedy can strike even the best driver/fighter

i think jds beat a prime cain. most ufc hws had the same punchers chance

but cain got 3 fights with him to prove himself

8/26/20 3:31 PM
6/22/06
I felt that Cain was always put on a UFC fastrack, so I was kind of annoyed with his wins.

But....let’s be real. When he was healthy and in his prime he was an absolute juggernaut. Pressure, cardio, wrestling, deceptively quick. He was awesome.
8/26/20 3:31 PM
7/14/16
onepunchJD - 
Lurker99 - 
Connorwinztharematch - 

I don't know man...

That version of Werdum was awesome.

One of the most dangerous I'm the world on the ground -- with the new found ability to light people up on the feet.

To you and the other that quoted me... sorry for the confusion. I didn't mean that to sound serious...

The post was meant as sarcasm and highlighting the list of excuses of what could have been. I think Cain had huge potential, but for many reasons, never lived up to it. I know... how can you say he didn't live up to his potential when he was a champ? He could have still been better.

Sure, injuries are bad luck, but that bad luck is amplified with suspect training techniques. As for the Werdum fight specifically, Cain was foolish to not show up early to get acclimated, but when people used that as an excuse to why he lost, it annoyed the hell out of me. You don't make excuses for being unprepared. That is part of being great. If you aren't prepared properly, you are not great and deserve to lose.
Edited: 8/26/20 3:31 PM
11/1/19

This one guy JDS did. He knocked him out.

8/26/20 3:37 PM
11/30/07
wiggum -
Ryann Von Doom - 

Couldn't have been his win over Brock Lesnar, or his two destructions of a prime Junior Dos Santos.

Yeah those 3 fights make him the goat.. lol rogan and the cultists are retarded. 

8/26/20 3:54 PM
5/28/03

Both sides have validity to their claims. 

When he was healthy and at sea level, he looked like one of the best to ever do it. The Cain that dismantled Lesnar is an all time great.

But hearing that he knowlngly entered the JDS fight with an injury, is really upsetting. He went on to win the 2nd and 3rd fights and that KO loss could have possibly been aoided.

Even at sea level, Cain might have still been picked apart by Fabs Werdum and takedn a panic shot that gave up a sub.. I honestly think that Werdum knew that was his one and only shot to match up favorably with a UFC HW champ and would have bankrupted his family in order to be as prepared as possible.

I agree that prime Fedor and Mirko would have likely clipped Cain in a ring, but been grinded out by him in a cage.

8/26/20 4:09 PM
1/1/06

A prime Mark Kerr with knees on the ground might have beaten a healthy Cain.

8/26/20 4:19 PM
2/17/03
Ryann Von Doom - 
wiggum -
Ryann Von Doom - 

Yeah those 3 fights make him the goat.. lol rogan and the cultists are retarded. 

Does any serious person call him the GOAT? The best I've seen is people discuss the topic of this thread: how good he was on his best night.

8/26/20 4:23 PM
7/6/17
HillboFrateTrane -

Thanks, someone who try yo look beyond the mith.

He was a beast yeah, but I think, DC, Stipe, Ngannou and a few others could defeated him best self.