UnderGround Forums Coronavirus anxiety thread

10 days ago
8/26/08
It took me some time but im at the point where im having some serious anxiety over this virus.

Didn't want to admit it, didn't want to make a big deal out of it but im officially at that point

I cant escape it, its on every channel, its all everybody is talking about.

Worried about supplies, worried about work, worried about getting sick, worried about loved ones getting sick

I have no choice but to go to work.... and that makes me concerned as well.

I was hoping we could help each other out in this thread, even if you dont want to admit that you are worried.

Thanks
10 days ago
1/1/01

Worry is waste of time.

Edited: 10 days ago
4/27/14

It's easy to let anxiety take over when you have all these competing worries - your health, your family, your finances, etc. And there's a whole media industry that feeds off the click-bait that stoke our fears.

But think of this: The U.S. of A. has a damn good track record for emerging victorious over catastrophes. We destroyed fascism in Europe, we fought communist expansionism to a standstill, and brought down the Soviet Union. We survived 9-11 and the anthrax attacks that the media told us would wipe us all out. We've gpt our industrial and military might and our brightest minds working on ways to defeat the virus. We've got good strong leadership. And the brightest minds around the globe. Our computing power is off the charts amazing. Our ability to manipulate Big Data gives us an ability to analyze and respond to hot zones. We have the most powerful, weaponized geek brain trust that will come up with off the wall, out of the box solutions. Just today, a crowdsourced geek project developed a way to make new ventilators with 3D printers:

Open-source project spins up 3D-printed ventilator validation prototype in just one week

It's going to be uncomfortable for a while and yes, too many people will die, like in any war. But we're going to come out of this okay.

I would recommend not checking the Internet too often. Work on the things you can and don't obsess over things you can't. Help others out, even strangers, any way you can - this is a huge element in your own psychological health. Stay healthy, exercise when you can (walking every day with your S.O. is recommended), try to get more sleep, eat healthy. You're gonna be okay.

10 days ago
1/1/01

stop watching tv and read a book or watch the thousands of movies and tv shows available on streaming services. Discipline yourself.

10 days ago
10/2/12
The Stewed Owl -

It's easy to let anxiety take over when you have all these competing worries - your health, your family, your finances, etc. And there's a whole media industry that feeds off the click-bait that stoke our fears.

But think of this: The U.S. of A. has a damn good track record for emerging victorious over catastrophes. We destroyed fascism in Europe, we fought communist expansionism to a standstill, and brought down the Soviet Union. We survived 9-11 and the anthrax attacks that the media told us would wipe us all out. We've gpt our industrial and military might and our brightest minds working on ways to defeat the virus. We've got good strong leadership. And the brightest minds around the globe. Our computing power is off the charts amazing. Our ability to manipulate Big Data gives us an ability to analyze and respond to hot zones. We have the most powerful, weaponized geek brain trust that will come up with off the wall, out of the box solutions. Just today, a crowdsourced geek project developed a way to make new ventilators with 3D printers:

Open-source project spins up 3D-printed ventilator validation prototype in just one week

It's going to be uncomfortable for a while and yes, too many people will die, like in any war. But we're going to come out of this okay.

I would recommend not checking the Internet too often. Work on the things you can and don't obsess over things you can't. Help others out, even strangers, any way you can - this is a huge element in your own psychological health. Stay healthy, exercise when you can (walking every day with your S.O. is recommended), try to get more sleep, eat healthy. You're gonna be okay.

Sage words. 

11/24/13

I sniped a 6 pack of hand sanitizer on Amazon, arrives on Thursday. I just happened to catch it when it was restocked for a 5 second window in time. Instantly sold out and was delisted.

Good to go until summer now. I have plenty of N95 masks. Deer in freezer, and dozens of wild turkeys and deer in the backyard if shit really hits the fan.

Why worried when you can be prepared? Worrying is a choice.

10 days ago
8/3/11

Get some vodka

10 days ago
12/19/10

Stress, anxiety, fear - these all hinder the bodies immune response in fighting the virus so just don't bother about that.

All you can do is assess what you need to do to lower the percentages. Stay positive, stay focused, access your surroundings and take the necessary precautions to keep yourself and family safe. (wash hands, be mindful of the surfaces you are touching in public, don't take any unnecessary risks, etc).

Stay vigilant, there is a clear path through all of this.

12/6/05
Not worried about food or any supplies. But I'm going to go bust. No biz with my restaurants and I can't take a 50% weekly loss.

2 more weeks and it's all over for me. I've come to terms with it. Small businesses have such small margins that something like this can wipe them out. Just invested into another spot and spread so thin. 2019 was a banner year. This is going to shut so many businesses up, that most can't comprehend the damage.

So yeah, I'll be bankrupt in a few months after busting my ass to build something good and have security for my family.

As long as I have a roof over my head and my family/kids are good, then I will be fine. Just sucks but I'll deal with it.
10 days ago
11/17/05
goldenboyart - Not worried about food or any supplies. But I'm going to go bust. No biz with my restaurants and I can't take a 50% weekly loss.

2 more weeks and it's all over for me. I've come to terms with it. Small businesses have such small margins that something like this can wipe them out. Just invested into another spot and spread so thin. 2019 was a banner year. This is going to shut so many businesses up, that most can't comprehend the damage.

So yeah, I'll be bankrupt in a few months after busting my ass to build something good and have security for my family.

As long as I have a roof over my head and my family/kids are good, then I will be fine. Just sucks but I'll deal with it.

Can't you do take out orders/curbside? They just allowed restaurants where i live to also sell booze to people that come pick up their food.

Good luck to you and yours.
10 days ago
8/26/08
Very helpful so far. I hope people continue to share
10 days ago
2/24/11
OldSchoolMike -

Worry is waste of time.

And bravodo is useless 

10 days ago
1/14/17

The worse part of this virus is the folks out of work or losing there small businesses. The media should be ashamed for all this fear and panic they push out. We didn’t hear any of this during the swine flu and it was way worse. I’m a deer and turkey hunter so my freezer is packed and I have butt paper and so far I’m still working the same hours...

10 days ago
1/2/20
Ya I felt the same but feel a little better now after I went out and got some supplies, just in case dont think itll be needed but better to have and not need, you know the saying..

also, while its important to keep up to date with this to best protect yourself and loved ones, everyday you should take the time to read a book or watch an unrelated show or movie to take your mind off this to keep your sanity. exercise too as long as youre feeling well. cheers.
10 days ago
10/6/02
What is the lesson here?

The lesson is everyone is going to die. And your'e not necessarily in control of when.
10 days ago
10/6/02
The danger of death is around us, and what contributes to that death is both around us, and even in us. Everyone dies. A hundred years from now none of us will be around; that’s inevitable. Life is the most comprehensive danger of all; no one escapes its inevitable end.

But sometimes there are things that happen that frighten us beyond the normal sense of impending death. A billion people have died in wars, a billion. Sixty million people a year die; fifteen million of them die from heart disease, ten million of them die from cancer. Fifteen thousand children die every day. Four thousand people die every day from accidents on the highways. Fifty million people died in the Spanish Flu epidemic in 1918. But the greatest of all holocausts was the Black Death in the 1300s when seventy-five million people died.
10 days ago
2/11/20

Don't panic.

Take some time to really look into this and you will realize your gonna be fine, just take precautions like everyone else.

Most people dying are older with health conditions. Unless you have health conditions and are getting up in age just relax, stay home if you can and not panic. Stores have lots of supplies coming in daily. Sounds like the government is helping people who can't work.

10 days ago
1/24/16

I never read the news and don't talk to many people in general. Yet this thing is everywhere it's hard to ignore.

I am using the time to get a ton of work done. To be honest I kind of like it. Everything is nice and quite. It's whatever you make of it. Maybe you'll look back on it as the most exciting time of your life. A time where family and friends become more important.

10 days ago
3/23/07

You're gonna be fine, buds.

10 days ago
1/1/01

I keep telling myself that the U.S. has been through some shit before and we made it through.   Now it’s our time and we’re going to make it through again, even the snowflakes and SJWs.   Take things one day at a time and turn off the tv if you need to.

9 days ago
4/25/16
FatBuddha -

stop watching tv and read a book or watch the thousands of movies and tv shows available on streaming services. Discipline yourself.

Broadcast television truly is a terrible and cancerous monster. I've been without for around 5 years and it's incredible how gross it all is. Cutting the cord was like finally cutting the fattest turd loaf that had been hanging from my turd cutter. Much more aerodynamic now etc. FUCK DA MAYWEDDERS!

9 days ago
12/18/03
FatBuddha - 

This!

But skip:

- Contageon

- The Stand

- The Road

- The Andromeda Strain

- Rainbow Six

- The Plague

- Anything Star Wars

9 days ago
12/18/03
colubrid1 - What is the lesson here?

The lesson is everyone is going to die. And your'e not necessarily in control of when.

That doesn't help OP, but I remember you having a very tough loss recently (I think)... hope you are recovering well, regardless the circumstances.

9 days ago
12/18/03

Seneca-Quotes-on-stress

9 days ago
3/19/04
MarsMan - 

Seneca-Quotes-on-stress

That guy needs a makeover but he seems pretty smart.